Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hand Warmers!

So I whipped these up two winters ago when I was in need of some quick gift ideas. I used some super wonderful Malabrigo, you don't even need a whole skein for one pair. They could totally be worked up in different yarn, a new stitch pattern, or even some colorwork! They're worked in one piece on straight needles, so they're great for beginners and depending on the yarn could be worn year round. One recipient likes them for driving, cause they leave her finger free but keep her hands a wrists warm. They're also great for winter knitting, as they leave your fingers free!

Project: Handwarmers!
Yarn:Half a skein Malabrigo Worsted 
Gauge: 4-5 sts in St st on size 9 needles
Needles: Size US 8 straight 
Notions: A yarn needle, and any other buttons, beads or ribbons you might choose to add.

CO 30 stitches, leaving a tail of several inches for seaming 
Next row : *K2, P2* until last two stitches, k to end.
Continue in *K2, P2* ribbing pattern for 9 more rows (ten rows total)
Change to St st  (knit one row, purl the next) for 30 rows
Switch back to the K2,P2 rib for 10 rows and bind off, leave a tail of several inches for seaming.

FINISHING
This part involves some math. the ribbing at the bottom should end just before your hand starts to curve out. Seam all the way up until just below your thumb. End here and tie it off. Then you will seam from the top down to the curve between your thumb and index finger. This created the thumb hole. 

I hope these directions are okay. This is my first pattern I've ever tried to write out. Let me know if there's anything I should have, or anything I don't need or if I have a mistake. 
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to put up, I hopefully will soon. Also I'll post a drawing (is schematic the right word? for measuring and seaming as soon as I can! 

No comments: